Yesterday was a long and at times pretty stressful day. We wanted to knock the title track, “American Buffalo”, out of the park, so Trevor and I hunkered down and worked on our respective vocal parts, then spent a while finding the right sound for my opening guitar part.
For vocals we used the Audiotechnica AT 2020 Condenser Mic. Vocals for “American Buffalo” (the song) are just about done, except for a harmony that we will likely farm out to Alex from Aeroplane, 1929, our resident harmony expert. We also did some work on “Flora/Fauna”; I gave the lead vocals a shot or two and Trevor did his backups.
For Trevor’s guitar parts we used the Fender Toronado; we were going for a sharper, Gibson SG kind of sound that the solid-body, humbucker Toronado worked well for. We once again used the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 201 Tube Amp, figuring it would be pretty ideal for Trevor’s leads. We used the SM57 for a mic. After that I worked for the rest of the evening and some of this morning on the opening guitar sections. I finally settled on using the Fender ’72 Telecaster Thinline, playing with both pickups (middle position) for the rhythm part, and using a DD6 Delay and the neck pickup for the lead.
Lead Guitar (Trevor, Fender Toronado, JCM 2000), completed
Rhythm Guitar (Chad, Fender ’72 Telecaster Thinline, JCM 2000), completed
Lead Guitar (Chad, Fender ’72 Telecaster Thinline, JCM 2000), completed
Vocals (Chad), completed
Vocals (Trevor), completed
Vocals (Chad), started
Vocals (Trevor), added