Hey guys! I hope everyone is having a happy and healthy holiday season. As 2009 draws to a close Chelsey and I decided to post the official Lion Cub Best of 2009 list!
First up is Chelsey with her picks for Best Albums of the Year.
1. Dirty Projectors – Bitte Orca
2. Teagan and Sara – Sainthood
3. Handsome Furs – Face Control
4. Bon Iver – Blood Bank EP
5. Grizzly Bear – Veckatimest
6. M. Ward – Hold Time
7. Dead Man’s Bones – Dead Man’s Bones
8. Passion Pit – Manners
9. Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
10. Jemina Pearl – Break It Up
So my top album picks for the year were really hard, so hard that I felt the need to amend it a bit by letting you know the records I wish I had room for. Maybe if we did a list with half points it would have been helpful…If we did it that way I would have included:
1.5 . Karen O and the Kids – Where the Wild Things Are Soundtrack
– I love soundtracks, especially to musicals. I also really love Karen O and the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s and I became obsessed with track 2 “All is Love”. Then Chad bought it for me so I could drive around a blast it for myself! I love the entire album, it’s a lot of fun! The soundtrack is a wonderful combination of youthful joy and conflict and a very creative expression of that kind of childhood ferocity that Karen O always called to mind for me. The movie was really great as well (but it made me cry a bit)!
2.5 Islands – Vapours
– A really really good record! First of all, I will admit I really enjoyed The Unicorns better, but I suppose I just enjoy my music on the crazier side. I enjoy Islands a lot though and I think that Nick Diamond’s is a wonderful performer and a great singer. This album puts them on a different road then their previous records, and I really love the new paths they’re taking.
3.5 Neco Case – Middle Cyclone
– Wow, her voice. That’s all I have to say. I think Neco Case is sexy and she is obviously way cool and I wish I could have had her on the top 10, but this year was competitive. Plus, Neco seems to be very engaged with the world around her and obviously walks the walk. On her website I found she has a “Save the Greyhounds” section! Awesome to me since I volunteered on the Committee to Protect Dogs (http://www.protectdogs.org/index.php) to help pass the Greyhound Protection Act to close the two greyhound tracks left in the state (and IT PASSED, YAY!). I like when artists and musicians help causes they believe in and tell the world about it! Also “This Tornado Loves You” is just incredible.
4.5 St. Vincent – Actor
– There is not a lot to say, but St. Vincent is awesome and I love her voice… and her hair. She is a true original it seems.
5.5 Of Montreal – An Eluardian Instance aka The Jon Brion EP –
Yeah, I’d say Of Montreal is my favorite band, or at least one of them. I love the transgendered/mashed up sexual themes that Kevin Barnes seems so taken with. It makes me feel dirty in a wonderful way, like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs or Tom Waits’ laugh, and I like that! I am a very active LGBT supporter and of Montreal seems like a good outlet for people that find themselves in any of those categories. And these songs and their re-mixes are sweet! Also a mind-blowing live band.
6.5 Monsters of Folk – Self-Titled
– How could I not like this super-group, duh? I love M. Ward (and sorta met him, well I watched Chad meet him after we saw She and Him. I think I just waved…haha) Conor is awesome too, obviously and Mike is from Bright Eyes as well so that’s just a given. My Morning Jacket is great as well, though I’m not as familiar with them as I should be. But the album is really fun and so it should be crammed in my long long top 10 of 2009 list.
7.5 Aeroplane 1929 – Original Sin
– Well, these guys are our friends, this is true, but they are still awesome! Alex writes the best lyrics, hands down. He is very inspiring to me: a very hardworking artist with a very strong perspective. He’s just wonderfully creative! Plus, he told me about the meanest show on television, Throwndown with Bobby Flay. Wow! Check them out here: aeroplane1929.com/
8.5 Antiques – No Fourtune
– What an awesome record! These guys are a Mass local band, which is great. Check these guys out at http://www.antiquesaredead.org/! Their record comes on vinyl with a book and a high quality download. Worth it!
9.5 Tune -Yards – Bird Brains
– Well, This is crazy stuff. I think Merrill is awesome. She really gets across just how awesome it is to be in a band, and I really enjoyed seeing her open for the Dirty Projectors. She has a lot of courage as an artist and puts on an amazing show. The audience was honestly shocked at the sounds coming from this one woman and her band mate. She is really a collage artist making music.. A lot of her songs are made up of found sounds and everyday tones that she recorded and then imitated, which is a lot like this project I heard about on NPR…(http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120387137)
10.5 I’m sure there is a lot more music that came out this year that I like, but 10.5 is over 10, and this list is only my top 10 after all… =D
Thanks for reading everyone,